Thursday, June 9, 2011

Ralph Waldo Emerson and me

I've recently accepted a challenge online to think about various quotes from RWE and how I can relate them to my own life. One I recently received has really touched something in me.

Our arts, our occupations, our marriages, our religion, we have not chosen, but society has chosen for us. We are parlour soldiers. We shun the rugged battle of fate, where strength is born. – Ralph Waldo Emerson

It seems my life has been a battle between what is expected of me, and what I choose for myself. I have to say, my choices are winning. I have been less concerned as I age, "grow up", with what other people think.

My choice of religion is not that of my family, my choices in how I've raised the children in my life have been rather unconventional. I think I've been through the "rugged battle of fate", and I'm starting on the peace negotiations.

I love being Wiccan. I adore being a housewife and stay at home grandma. I endeavor to treat all with compassion. My rewards are many. Even though I struggle with physical disabilities, I am mostly at peace with my life. I've come to accept that I am a very strong person. I've been through battles that others have not been able to survive.

Would I wish to change anything I've been through? No. I like the person I am. To change any of the nightmares of my past would significantly change who I am.

Thank you, Ralph Waldo Emerson, for this bit of satisfaction with my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment