Wednesday, June 19, 2013

A SHAMELESS THEFT (of an idea)

This is a shameless theft of a blog post.  I just think it's a really cool idea.  I have left paperbacks with a note in them for the finder to read and pass on, but this seems like fun, as well.  I always wonder when I do something in secret for someone else who will find it, if it will help brighten their day, if it will make that person smile.  I have several cotton dish cloths, wash cloths and pot holders I've crocheted, I am going to find some jars (or maybe zip top plastic bags?) to leave them in.

 

A SHAMELESS THEFT (of an idea)

  

http://anestforallseasons.blogspot.com/2011/03/jar-project.html
Have you heard of  ‘pay it forward’ or ‘random acts of kindness’?  The idea is that you’ll pass along a good deed or a small gift (like a paperback book) anonymously by placing it in a public place to be ‘adopted’ by the person who finds it – or in the good deed category, maybe you’ll pay for the cup of coffee of the person behind you in line or secretly shovel a neighbor’s sidewalk.  These little things can make us feel great!  It is great to give as well as to receive.
Then, I ran across this idea.  Basically, you take a jar and lid that would otherwise go in the trash or recycling bin and place something small and pretty in it.  Then, you leave the jar in a public place for someone to happen on – to brighten the day of the recipient.  Since it’s unlikely that you’ll see the recipient find the ‘gift’, you just have to trust that your small token will be well received.
So, here’s my plan.  Gather all those jelly jars and other clear containers that I’d normally throw away.  Then, I’ll crochet a small item – a potholder or a flower, for instance – place it in the jar and leave it somewhere along my daily journey – probably in the atrium of the hospital where I work.  I’ll go one step farther and mark the jar with a small piece of paper that says ‘FREE’ on it.
I’ll also print up a batch of small notes to tuck in each jar stating that this is a Happiness Project.  Then, there’s a good chance that the recipient will think of a way to ‘pay it forward’.
My note will say:
I crocheted this little gift to brighten your day.
Please accept it with an open heart.
Now, it’s your turn to do something that will put a smile on the face of a stranger.

No comments:

Post a Comment